Tuesday, August 5, 2008

How To Change The World

I was thinking of naming this blog "How To Change The World" but then I realized that even I am not pretentious enough to stick to that title every day. Besides, better people than I have already told everyone how to change the world. The theory is simple. The execution is tricky.

Also, I'd already decided on the HuckCrowley URL. (Huck Crowley is a pseudonym that I always wanted to use for my writing, but then I never wrote anything...)

So the overall blog is "I'm Your Huckleberry." which is a nice mix of decidedly unpretentious and actually maybe quietly pretentious after all. The phrase means "I'm the man for the job". So it's self-aggrandizing in a down-home / pop-culture kinda way. I like it.

This initial post will be How To Change The World, though, just to clear that out of my head and to help me try to put some theory into practice. It comes down to this:

We change the world all the time. With every step. With every breath. With every action and inaction we take or fail to take. We are each and every one of us changing the world all the time.

So there you go. Changing the world is easy. You're doing it now.

Changing the world for the better is hard. To change the world for the better you have to do the right thing. All the time. Every time.

And you'll fail.

We're human. We are not perfect and we'll almost certainly fail do to the right thing all the time, every time.

But that doesn't mean we shouldn't try and, upon failure, try again.

But yeah, with every second of every day we're changing the world. And the question we have to ask ourselves, constantly, is are we changing it for the better?

And a lot of the time the answer to that will be no.

Another question: Are we changing the world for the worse?

Hopefully the answer to that will be no, also.

If we can refrain from making the world worse, and occasionally engage in making it better, then I'm going to call that a win.

Sometimes in this blog you'll see my ideas on how one can actively work to improve the world. Sometimes you'll see ideas that, one hopes, simply don't make it worse.

And we'll figure it out together. Because no one can change the world for the better all by themselves.

2 comments:

NET'S Mom said...

I, for one, want in on the changing the world with you! Nicely done, Huck!

legion said...

HUCK SMASH!!!