Monday, October 6, 2008

Debate: Hulu vs YouTube

Earlier today I wrote a couple of pieces on the vice presidential debate. I've been trying to avoid expressing my own opinion in these posts. More than anything else I've been trying to direct any interested parties to the unvarnished information - the debate itself, in this case - although I'm sure my opinion seeps through the cracks in my writing, despite my efforts. The point is I want people from all points on the political spectrum to feel comfortable reading and posting here. I don't want my blog to be too one-sided.

Including the SNL intro in my earlier post almost certainly reflects some bias on my part, suppose.

I embedded the debate itself, though, so that my readers could see what SNL was distorting for comedic effect.

I googled Palin Debate Video and the best link I got was a YouTube video taken from C-SPAN. It has no commercials, but it's a little grainy.

I embedded the SNL intro straight from hulu.

I love hulu, and I will almost certainly write extensively about hulu in the near future.

When I had a little extra time today I checked hulu's debate coverage. They've got the entire debate! Twice!

Hulu is a joint venture between FOX and NBC. One copy of the debate is from FOX. The other is from MSNBC. Both copies have better video than C-SPAN via YouTube. Both also have commercials - such is the nature of hulu.

FOX's version has twice as many commercial breaks (8) as MSNBC's (4), but their full-screen video looks better on my laptop. Maybe the quality of the video is directly proportional to the number of advertisements.

Here's FOX:



I wasn't going to include the SNL skit again, but I find that I have to have its hulu image directly under the one above...



Here's MSNBC:



And Here' CSPAN / YouTube:

No comments: