Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Investing update

In my last post on the market I mentioned that my net loss had gone from 20% to 40%.

Well, as the market continues to fall I end today with a net loss of 49%. This is about where I was at yesterday's close, actually. Today was technically a good day for me, in that my holdings went up about 0.3%.

My 401K, though, continues to plummet. "Plummet" is a pretty alarming word, but it seems to apply. Look a the following images:




These are actual 5-year graphs of funds from my 401K.

Is there a better word than "plummet"? How about "terrifyingly steep plunge eerily reminiscent of the screaming descent down a roller coaster's initial hill"?

Splunge!

This 401K and my house are pretty much my entire retirement plan. I thought I was doing very well on my retirement plans. Now I'm pretty sure I'm not.

I'm an unhappy voter. I've been saving for my retirement, and I'm seeing that savings evaporate into thin air.

At least the descent is thrilling. Hold on tight, folks.

No comments: