Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Good kung fu monkeys and Wil's place in the Venn diagram

Okay, so this is just me stealing from other, better bloggers.

Item the first - indirectly from Kung Fu Monkey: GOOD.

John Rogers had this item about Somali Piracy on his blog (Kung Fu Monkey) yesterday. I watched it and was informed - in less than 2 minutes - of things that I had not already learned about Somali Piracy by reading every item online that I could find on the subject. The video in question was created by GOOD, a website / magazine by people who give a damn for people who give a damn.

I began to view other bits of video over on the GOOD.is site, and have learned about hippo rollers and about a Danish band called The Asteroids Galaxy Tour. Two items that might not have otherwise come to my attention.

Continuing to explore the site I came across this very interesting infographic.



Click it. It's an interactive map of the 50 states, shaded by percentage of population that smokes.

Spoiler: Kentucky ranks #1, and cigarettes are cheaper in Kentucky than anywhere.

There's not always a direct correlation between price of cigarettes and percent of population that smokes. Cigarettes are pretty expensive in Alaska, for instance, but that doesn't keep folks there from lighting up.

It's interesting. Anyway, I'm going to be spending some time on GOOD, I expect.

And then there's this, which amuses me. I saw it on Wil Wheaton's blog, and I decided to post it on mine, too:

No comments: